2018년 10월 17일 수요일

Is it tomorrow yet?







  Daelim Museum is now presenting ‘Is It Tomorrow Yet?’, the first solo exhibition in Asia by the 'Young Art Star', Coco Capitán, whose work has drawn international recognition. Running from August 2, 2018 to January 27, 2019, the exhibition features over
150 artworks in a wide range of media including photography, painting, handwriting, video, and installation.

 I knew some works of her, but didn’t know what kind of artist she is. Coco Capitorn (born in 1992 in Spain) is a photographer and artist based in London. 
She majored in fashion photography at London College of Fashion and graduated from Royal College of Art. The author presents photos, paintings, murals, hand lighting, images, installations with his unique frankness and freedom.


 The exhibition sheds a light on the various aspects of Capitán's works from paintings to handwritings and photography to installations, reflecting on 
the conflict of her emotions with the present which she perceives as becoming increasingly crowded and noisy. Capitán consciously guides us to slow 
down, to live for a now - not for a tomorrow or a then - and look at what lies in front of us
It was a fancy exhibition. 


  I liked her photographs and design works also. All around the museum, striking artworks were displayed. I saw a clip interview of her defining herself as an ‘artist’. She said that she is an artist, not a photographer or film maker. I think she wants people remember her as a well- equipped artistic person. She seems proud of her self that she is a versatile artist. I agree with that, but the exhibition was only showing those kinds of things. I felt like being noticed “I can do this, this, and that. Isn’t it fancy?” 

consolation?


  The main theme of the exhibition was coco’s consolation to others. But I think it has failed
to give people that kind of message. Only thing I remember after watching the exhibition was the colorful artworks of her, not healing or comfort from her. I think it was hard to being cured or cheer up after watching that exhibition. I don’t understand the ‘consolation’ as a theme, it looked like contrived and unnatural to me. It doesn’t fit to the exhibition.  


  Not only about the theme, but also the worst point of this exhibition was that there were too many people in the museum. Also, almost all people were taking pictures with their phones, I could not concentrate on the artworks. It was a loud, fancy exhibition. To be a better place as a artistic museum, I think Daelim should make some rules to make more quite place that people can get a real ‘consolation’. 

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기

‘Communications Design Department Graduation exhibition’ at Konkuk University

‘Communications Design Department Graduation exhibition’ at Konkuk University  The exhibition that I will introduce today is a gradua...